January 28, 2012

Fortune's Wheel

It's been a while. I never meant to stop writing here, but life caught up with me, and I didn't need to vent as much.

At the start of the whole divorce from PdeFF (a/k/a the Insane Ex) my entire goal was to survive with the girls reasonably happy. No more, no less. My finances were in ruins, my career a shambles, and my ability to enjoy and appreciate life severely compromised.

Those days are over, and the original goal now seems so puny. The girls are thriving. Tigergrrl is a star in school, on her basketball team, skiing with friends, in community service (recycling, food prep for a shelter, otherwise working on improving the world at school and at church), and this year she has gone spelunking, white-water rafting, and hiking with a pre-teen group that suits her well. She's enjoying (something I never did) middle school. DestructoGirl is loving being a big first grader and is drawing up a storm and preparing to be the next Dorothy Hamill or Peggy Fleming, or whoever.

We own our own home with a bedroom for each girl and a dog whose biggest problem is that by picking where she'll curl up for the night, she'll be disappointing at least one child.

I honestly never thought this day would come, back in 2005-2008, a time that shall hereafter be referred to, in hushed tones, as The Dark Time.

I'm doing well in my job, I'm thinking about returning to a higher level position (in a few years -- I'll wait until DestructoGirl is several years into her schooling), and everything except for worries about some friends (unfortunately, luck and success run in cycles, and my up cycle is a down cycle for people I care about) and PdeFF (jobless again, darn the feckless fool) is pretty much on an upswing.

It's funny how the wheel turns. I have no doubt that I have many more catastrophic failures ahead of me before I die. I plan to die in my 90s. NuclearGrammy died recently, just missing her 100th birthday. I don't want to live that long, but at age 50, I'm feeling just slightly more than half-way through this whole deal.

I hope to be writing regularly again, but the sturm und drang and excitement of before (remember, The Dark Time) seems unlikely to return. Thus this might turn into a knitting blog. Or a dog-training blog. Or the blog of the lamb chop mother: I don't threaten to trash stuffed animals and my kids STILL do well (take that, Amy Chua*!).

Next post, maybe: of dogs and men.

*Please note, it may be possible that Ms. Chua wrote her dreadful child-rearing memoir as a joke or something, but even so, she's only slightly less idiotic that Lori Gottlieab and only slightly less hateful than Caitlin Flanagan. You read in on the Internet, so it must be true, right?

11 comments:

CyberKitten said...

Excellent news and long may the good times continue!

Welcome back to the Blogoverse.....

Jenn said...

I'm so pleased that you and your amazing girls are doing well. You have been frequently in my thoughts.

wunelle said...

All excellent reasons to be away from blogging. This sporadic posting is something for which feedreaders were invented!

Happy for you all that life is grand!

Mr Lonely said...

walking here with a smile. take care.. have a nice day ~ =D

Regards,
http://www.lonelyreload.com (A Growing Teenager Diary) ..

dcpeg said...

So glad to see you're back and feeling good! Missed you and am thrilled all three of the "women" in your house are well and happy.

Ash-Matic said...

I only just showed up - don't turn this into a knitting blog!

Write, Foilwoman, write!

Laurita said...

Don't you love being out of the Dark Times? I'm enjoying it too.

Benedict 16th said...

Yay for the Foilest of them all!

Foilwoman said...

Thanks all. I really can't hope for more interesting stuff to post about -- I'm enjoying a nice, boring, happy life right now. But, of course, I still have things to say.

Freewheel said...

That's wonderful news. Glad you're back. I hope you'll blog some more about your dog.

Foilwoman said...

FreeDude: The dog is a foster who has abandoned us to live with a wealthy childless woman and her partner who camp, hike, and own a summer home in the Shenandoahs. I thought I was safe, saying we wouldn't let the dog go to a forever home until we found someone who would spoil her more than we did, but we found that person, and she has enough resources to tend to the dogs special needs (this was a rescue dog). So sadly, we are dogless for the moment (a tragedy for us, but not for Sugarpie the dog) and DestructoGirl is nagging about when we go to the pound to select another pooch to pamper and make ready for adoption.

Apparently, dogs like being with us much better than the pound, and they calm down and have better chances of adoption when sitting on my couch. But a history of Sugarpie is forthcoming. Especially how she protected us from evil Venetian blinds. Such a good dog.